Sunday 5 April 2015

Blog post 11

SoundCloud (CC). 2015
This week we learned about using webcasting tools. I specifically used Podcasts (SoundCloud). A podcast is described and carried out similar to a song. CNN did a short video about it and this wasn't their description.
The show was recorded and then uploaded to the Internet and becomes a podcast, an audio file playable on any iPod or portable music device. It's just like a song, it's no different.  
I have used these tools a lot but always on the receiving end. I have never created something using these tools. I found it really interesting to compare the two experiences. It was really quite nerve wracking to create something, I kept worrying about how others would see this. I think I did gain a better appreciation for the audio and visual tools and people who use them though. Since it was so difficult for me I really started thinking about all the podcasts or soundclouds I listen to. This made me think more about copyright. In my Copyright post I said:

Copyright is not there to make our lives difficult it is in place to protect the creators work. It is a way to try to protect the creator when issues of copying may arise.

When people create things with webcasting tools I feel they are putting a lot more of their selves into it then with writing. Simply because their voice or face is in it. Suddenly creating is not just about the content but everything is being judged by the online public.

Personally I like to use these tools to learn but I really don’t like creating with webcasting tools. I found it caused me too much stress. I stopped focusing on the content and more so on my delivery. The quality of my voice, tone, pitch and just over sound of my voice was almost all I focused on.  I prefer to have my written work online than having audio or visual online.

I think for some people this may be a helpful tool if they have a hard time expressing thoughts on paper. Academically I think teachers could benefit from this, on day they are away or to allow students a way to learn outside of the classroom.

Feedly
This week I found a site on my Feedly that really caught my eye. TESOL 2015, in this post Navnish describes 3 of her favorite ideas from the 2015 TESOL conference. This caught my eye first because I am a TESOL major and second because my professor spoke there as well.
Before I get into what her post said I want to point out something she said that I think relates to all conferences and all fields of work.
Every year, educators from around the world approach the TESOL convention with one single mission in mind: to learn. Some come to learn the trends of the ESL world, some come for the research, and still some others for the strategies and techniques they can implement in their classrooms.
This is interesting I think because she shows that you don’t have to be a professor to attend these conferences. People go ultimately to learn about their profession or even just an interest. I think more people should start doing this.

As for her actual post she looks at three ideas presented at the conference: mobile technology, student-led discussion and vocabulary teaching. As a future EFL teacher myself I think the last point is the most important. In order for a student to read and understand a text they need to know 95-98% of the vocabulary within it. That is a HUGE number, one that surprised me when I learned it. Which point catches your eye?

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Kathleen I enjoyed reading your Blog. I also used Sound Cloud as my webcasting tool. I had an awesome time working with sound cloud. I had a chance to review your feedly article as well. This will be beneficial for the students who speak English as their second language. Good luck thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete