Thursday 26 March 2015

Blog Post 10

This week we looked at using slideshow tools. I have never actually used one before so it was a completely new experience for me. I liked using slideshow tools. I found it was an easy and fun way to compile information. I am used to only writing to convey my opinion or share information but using these tools I was able to tap into different learning styles.

As for the content of the slideshow we looked at copyright. This is a subject everyone knows about but not necessarily its proper use.  Here is a definition of Copyright from The 2Learn.ca EducationalSociety. (2011-2012).

Copyright law was created to protect creators of original material. The law provides a way of determining "who gets paid" for their original work. It also provides "who pays" for use of that original work.

Elias Bizzaeas (CC). 2007
Copyright is often violated without the person even realizing they are doing so. Copying photos from Google images is extremely common, but how many people actually think about giving the credit? This is where netiquette applies, giving credit where credit is due. Recognizing others talent and time spent creating is a good way to start practicing properly copyrighting.

From my post about Animoto I made some comments about copyright that I would like to add here:
Copyright is not there to make our lives difficult it is in place to protect the creators work. It is a way to try to protect the creator when issues of copying may arise. Although copyright is not always acknowledged and this generation has become extremely good at dogging the rules, it is important to follow these rules I personally have had a Flickr account for years and I would be upset if someone has been taking my photos and taking credit for them. My photos express my creativity and a lot of work went into them.

PLE
I would add these creative knowledge expression tools in my PLE by adding it to School and Professional. I chose these two areas because I feel that I can use this in teaching. As a teacher I believe it is important to provide my students with as many forms of teaching as possible (visual, audio, etc.). These tools help give me more ways to do this.

Feedly

This week in my Feedly reader I found an interesting article about Being Strict and Allowing Mistakes- Keep Growing. When I first looked at the title I actually was thinking of this in terms of teachers marking assignments (this topic was covered in a class not long before I saw this article). After reading the post though I realized that it was actually about self-improvement. The writer talks about how mistakes can be used as a tool to grow rather than a discourager.  She talks about how every time we make a mistake we learn from it and better ourselves somehow, even if it is just the tiniest bit. That we should be making goals but if we fail our goal not to be completely put off by it. A quote from the article that really caught my attention is:

The goal is not to be extremely strict to yourself, the goal is to be just strict enough so you keep growing.


By this she means we need to be critical of ourselves to the point that we can learn from our mistakes and be better the next time, but not so strict that we lose our motivation and put ourselves down. I recommend this article especially if you are a perfectionist like me. 

My Animoto on Copyright

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kathleen,

    Great blog post this week! As you stated, online slideshow tools were new for me as well. I also found that using the slideshow tools, such as Animoto were simple and fun to use in order to present information in an animated way. I'm not sure about you, but I typically use PowerPoint when needing to make a presentation for something. So finding an online tool like the ones we learned about during this session were really beneficial to my online learning and for the development of my personal learning environment!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete