Friday 13 March 2015

Blog report and reflect #8

Wiki

This week we learned about Wiki. Defined by RCPTV as: 
A wiki is a web 2.0 technology fostering computer supported collaborative learning through a content management system designed to facilitate collaborative knowledge building.
I have been using one for one of my other classes this semester so I am a little familiar with the formatting of it. I personally do not like wiki. I find it to be more work than using Google Docs, blogs or Evernote. I don’t like how public wikis are and how easy they can be to change. I prefer something I have more control over like Google Docs. I can choose if my page can be edited or just viewed. I do think that wiki can be useful in a classroom project. Currently I am using wiki to collaborate on a lesson plan with my peers. It can be difficult but all changes are logged and my partners and I can make changes and be notified by email when they do.

Digital Rights and Responsibilities

The discovery activity this week has made me realize that I think Digital Rights and Responsibilities hold the most importance of all the elements of being a good digital citizen.  I feel this way because I see that rights and responsibilities effects how people use digital tools. We were asked to share three areas within digital rights and responsibilities this week and I would like to add my thoughts here.

Carey (CC). 2015
I think everyone can agree at this point that digital rights and responsibilities are at the center of proper digital communication. These rights and responsibilities affect every other element of being a digital citizen. Our security, health, etiquette and more rely on the individuals’ knowledge and practice of their digital rights and responsibilities.Within digital rights and responsibilities I have chosen three main areas that I feel are the most important to know about and execute. I believe that being able to identify and report cyber-bullying is crucial in this generation. Everything we do is online now and instead of being forgotten it can be brought up at any point in the future. With this kind of access it is easy for people to participate in cyber-bullying, and some people may not even be aware of this. Understanding what it is and then learning how to report it needs to be taught explicitly.The next area I have chosen is the understanding of copyright laws. I chose this because I remember a lot of times people have gotten in trouble because they did not understand these laws. This happens a lot with YouTube and music. Michelle Phan is a good example, and a lot of foreign singers have gotten in trouble over copyright.The last area I look at is freedom of expression. I believe this is important but I also do not think this should be looked at alone. Freedom of expression needs to follow netiquette, online rules and security. Everyone wants to be able to have freedom of speech but there is also the need for appropriate speech. 

Feedly

This week on my Feedly I found a TED Talk about texting and language. The question is: Is texting actually advancing our language?

This is a really cool topic I think because everything I have heard up until now is about how texting is corrupting our language. So to hear an opposing argument is new and thought provoking. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathleen,

    Great blog post this week! I agree with your opinion on wikis. For collaborative purposes, I find that Google Docs is a lot more efficient and easier to use. Especially when having to explain the tool to someone who has never used it before, I find Google Docs is much easier to immediately comprehend. Something I liked about wikis is how it logs each revision or addition someone makes - although, Google Docs does as well.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen,

    I enjoyed reading about your experience with Wiki this week. Although Wiki has its benefits, Google Docs and Evernote certainly seem the more ideal tools for me right now. Also, I totally agree with you about the fact that any public wikis can be edited by anyone. Thank you for sharing the TED talk from your Feedly. It is definitely a great point of discussion.

    Divyata

    ReplyDelete